Tuesday, September 02, 2008

The Donne Witch Project


From the Donfather himself:
I lived in the lodge for a while with Brother Joe Baird (Chapter Celestial). It was a weird Summer indeed. Joe and I had been reading the demented tales written by the other-worldly H. P. Lovecraft. Ghouls and critters from other dimensions and all that. Really spooky stuff. On several occasions, we heard strange noises "out back" and more than once found doors that were closed, wide open. It was the time of The Haunting of the Lodge. Or perhaps it was the beer and grain alcohol punch.



It was also the time of the hamburger. Joe and Brother Bill Powell were working Channel 12 block parties, and Joe would bring back literally boxes of frozen patties. I swear we ate hamburgers for every meal for months, and I mean nothing else. It became a real mission to stick to our "diet."

Brothers would drop in all the time for hijinks and hanging out. The lodge during that time was a real hangout where brothers would congregate. Often times we would cook up pranks to pull on other frats or UR in general.

At one time, we had brothers living in the brother's room and the girl's head, as we called it. There was a closet with a pull-close wooden curtain where the bar is now. I believe it was either Brother Jim Soyars or Pete Kucera that were living in that space. Also, the doors were never locked (different times). There was always someone in the lodge. It was used constantly, 24-7.

 
I still have great nostalgia for The Grand Old Lady, and still cannot go there without waves of memories coming back.

1 comment:

Brian said...

I lived at the lodge the summer of 1976, 1977 and 1978 during my summer school days. I was on the top bunk in the girls head. The lodge was filled with furniture so we sacrificed one couch and put it outside on the deck (under the roof overhang, but still in the weather). Someone would come back from vacation, find their couch on the porch, shrug their shoulders and move on. Brother Benny Campbell set up the BASCO (bone and antler smoking company) there once, when my father decided to bring me back to school after I wrecked his car (did I mention I was total sober?) and saw this organization, the skinny hippy that worked for Benny and the skanky chick in the squirrel skin halter top, with the way to short shorts (NICE!). All I could stammer was “this was not here when I left”, and “I’m not the only one that has a key”. So he stormed out and we partied. Ah, the smell, the sound, the experience!!!! THE LODGE!!!!!!!